Sept 1, 2021- Indoor mask policy - read Guideline here.
For sports indoors, where wearing a mask in not possible due to choking hazard or medical exemption.
"For sports where wearing a mask during play has been determined to pose a choking hazard by a well-recognized health authority, such as the American Academy of Pediatrics (at this time, sports currently identified by the American Academy of Pediatrics are competitive cheer, gymnastics while on an apparatus, swimming, diving, water polo and wrestling), one of the following options is required:"
- Conduct these activities outdoors.
- Perform at least weekly screening testing with either PCR testing (1:1 or pooled PCR) or antigen testing of all individuals, including those who are fully vaccinated.
Link to CDPH: K-12 Guidance 2021-22 School Year (ca.gov)
Updated CDPH: Aug 19,2021
Please see the link below for updated CDPH Guidance regarding large events effective September 20, 2021. The bullet points below are the major changes from the original release in June. The proof of vaccination and/or negative test requirement is for attendees and not participants. Large indoor events were previously considered to be 5,000 or greater (now 1,000 or more).
Below is a link that you may use on your section web pages that goes to the updated guidance.
- Applied vaccine verification or negative testing requirement to Indoor Mega Events involving 1,000 or more participants.
- Removed self-attestation as a mode for both vaccine verification and for verification of negative COVID-19 test for indoor events scheduled after September 20, 2021.
- Extended date for requirements and recommendations to remain in place to November 1, 2021.
ANNOUNCEMENT: December 15, 2020
ANNOUNCEMENT: December 4, 2020
The Northern Section continues to be concerned with the health and safety of our student athletes. The CDPH has not changed their guidelines for high school and youth sports since the August 3rd guidelines were released. The Northern sports calendar for the 2020-2021 school year is in place and will remain in place. Since schools are not able to begin practice and competition as originally planned, the hope is you can begin in the future when new guidelines come out from the CDPH.
All practice and competition start times in the Northern Section are on hold until we receive new state return-to-play guidelines.
On Wednesday, January 20, 2021, when we have a better sense of the overall situation, the Executive Committee will meet again to discuss Northern Section athletics.
COVID-19 NEWS AND UPDATES: July, 2020